Monday, May 12, 2008

Bike trip on Whitsun

On the Saturday evening before Whitesun Pauli and I went to my parents by train. We took our bikes with us because we planned to bike back to Oldenburg the next day.

When we arrived in Weener at around 9 p.m. my parents, my oldest brother Benni and his girlfriend Claudia were waiting for us and so was a barbecue. After eating many sausages we talked for a while.

The next morning after breakfast Pauli and I started our bike trip. Of course we didn't want to take the main roads nor the straightest way to Oldenburg. The roads we chose made it a 80km-trip.

It was a really nice day for biking: it was sunny and around 24°C (80°F). The wind blew a bit too hard when we had to bike against it. Unfortunately, there aren't many trees here and between noon and 2 p.m. it was really hot. But after 30km of biking we found a nice lake and a shadowy place where we had lunch.

With new strength we went on and biked another 30km until we reached the next lake. Here we had a snack and relaxed under a tree. After 15km we almost reached Oldenburg but we decided to cool off in a little lake that Pauli and other Finnish people would probably call a pond.

The cold water of the lake was refreshing and the last 10km were easy to bike. In Oldenburg we went to a 'Wirtshaus' (Bavarian German for pub) and drank a cool beer.

We had a really nice time biking and we were faster than I expected. Three years ago I biked to my parents with a friend in 10 hours. Pauli and I made it in 7 1/2. In the end we were a bit tired and had sore butts but it was worth it.

For more pictures: http://picasaweb.google.com/nina.kristina.weber/BiketripFromWeenerToOldenburg

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I did not know that you were solemnizing "White Sunday" the next day. Instead of that I had thougt it was just an ordinary bike trip browning "sickly pale"'s skin until I read the blog...

Since when are you gelovig?

-b